The Hereford team put the disappointment of last week’s postponed game with Stoke behind them to claim a comprehensive win at Stourbridge.

A team showing eight changes settled quickly and within 15 minutes had scored a brace of tries. HRFC went into a 12-point lead. The Lions responded well. They were helped by Hereford mistakes and drew level. However, before the interval a, by now signature “catch and drive” saw the Wyesiders take a 17 points to 12 advantage. In the second half four further tries saw Hereford take an unassailable lead of 41 points to 12. The Lions showed plenty of heart to fight back with a consolation try in the last minute.

A happy coach, Luke Fisher said,

“It was nice to get back on the road again today. A good team effort allowed us to come away with a great result. I thought Jamie Hodges was outstanding at both set piece and around the park. It was nice to see Bryn Goodall back, bringing a bit of spark to the backs. The boys stepped up and brought some energy and tempo to our game. Defensively we were strong and put them under pressure. Whilst in attack we looked very sharp. Our links, phased plays and good finishing provided some very nice tries.”

Hereford looked sharp right from the kick-off and quickly raced into a 12-point lead.

From a series of penalties, Bryn Goodall found some good touches and a familiar “catch and drive “ provided the first try claimed by Jamie Hodges. The second try came from a break by Bryn Goodall, carried on by Rhys Proctor, who fed back for Goodall to race over for the score. Goodall added the extra points. Lions responded and drove into the Hereford 22, their series of “pick and go” forced a penalty close to the line and a quick tap and go saw them to their first try. The conversion was good. Lions continued to put pressure on the Hereford line. They were ultimately able to force their way over for a second try. Levelling the score at 12 points apiece. As half time approached a penalty into the Lions 22 set up the “catch and drive” for Jamie Hodges to touch down for his second try.

The Wyesiders took a 17 points to 12 lead into the interval.

From the restart the Lions missed to gather cleanly. Rhys Proctor picked up the loose ball and raced over for an unconverted try. Josh Jensen intercepted a loose Lions pass to cross under the posts. Goodall made the conversion. Callum Duncan was given 10 minutes in the bin for entering the maul from the side. Despite this Hereford continued to dominate. A strong drive from Richard Preece set up the ball for Bryn Goodall to cross in the corner with a fine finish. He added the extra points to his try. Hereford’s seventh try came when Tom Neal was tackled just short of the goal-line and Tom Ewins following up was able to score in the corner. The Lions, who had put pressure on the visitors from time to time throughout the game, finally got the reward of a consolation try. Taking the final score to 19 points to 41.

The Lions put the Hereford defence under pressure at times and brought out the best in them.

Apart from the schoolboy error that allowed the Lions to score from a tap penalty, they looked totally secure all game. Hereford scored seven good tries. They’ll need to carry that form into next week’s game at Wyeside against Whitchurch. Whitchurch also had a good win over Droitwich on Saturday. Furthermore, young players Rhys and Ewan Proctor and Tom Neal all stepped up and fitted in well. Whilst Bryn Goodall was welcomed back with 2 tries, 3 conversions and numerous good kicks keeping his team in good field position.