Hereford 56 Worcester 0

The Wyesiders hit top form today running in eight tries in a sound win over local rivals Worcester.

A delighted head coach, Scott Sturdy said “This was our best performance of the season so far.  It was really pleasing that we executed the opportunities we created. Over the past couple of weeks, we have created a lot of line breaks and made a lot of 22 visits, but the passes just haven’t stuck. I’m really pleased this week to execute as well as we did and the score-line reflects it. There were some outstanding individual performances but as a team we attacked and defended particularly well. Not to take anything away from today’s game, Worcester came and tried hard, but unfortunately on the day we were the better team.

Next week we have a huge challenge when we play Kenilworth at home, who appear to be the form team in the league.  We shall need to raise our game another 15 or 20 percent if we want to win. The lads set out at the start of the season to become a top four team and next week will go a long way in establishing whether we are or not.”

Hereford signalled their intent right from the kick off.  Within five minutes Ollie Hutcheson had made a break from inside his own half and raced to the line for a well taken individual try. Callum Brayshaw, who had a perfect afternoon with the boot, converted to give the Wyesiders a seven-point lead. Inside twenty minutes Hereford increased their lead with a well-constructed try. A driving maul from a lineout inside the Worcester 22 produced quick ball.  A slick passing movement gave a half chance to Aaron Lewis who scored in the corner. Brayshaw converted from near the touch line. Worcester had their best spell in the second quarter keeping Hereford pinned inside their 22 for over fifteen minutes.

Despite losing James Marshall for ten minutes in the bin, the Hereford defensive structure held good.  At the interval the Wyesiders had a comfortable fourteen-point lead.

Hereford recovered the ball from the restart and another well executed passing movement transferred the ball to Matt Milsom on the right wing who made no mistake in finishing well. Another successful Brayshaw kick added the extra points. Worcester did their best to get back into the game, but the Wyesiders’ defence held firm and the attack slipped into top gear. In a ten-minute purple patch Hereford secured the try bonus point, adding four tries.

Aaron Lewis added his second, Jack Goodwin powered over for a brace and Callum Brayshaw proved himself to be more than a boot with a fine individual try. Brayshaw, as a matter of course slotted all the conversion attempts. In the final phase of play, Aaron completed his hat trick of tries and Callum completed a full house of conversions. The game ended with a well-deserved win for Hereford by 56 points to nil.

Outstanding individual performances in today’s game included Callum Brayshaw, Aaron Lewis and Jack Goodwin. Callum landed goals from a wide range of field positions, Aaron registered his first hat trick in Hereford colours, whilst a powerful back-row performance from Jack produced two well taken tries.

All eighteen players played a full part in a great team performance.