Hereford 22 Newbold on Avon 0

Hereford extended their unbeaten run at Wyeside to nine games.

Their last home defeat was to Droitwich on January 19th 2019. This latest victory over Newbold on Avon was very largely built around a dominant pack and a well drilled defence. The heavy ground conditions were not conducive to a running game.  The Hereford backs enabled them to vary their game plan with some good handling moves, particularly in the early stages of the game. The Wyesider’s registered three first half tries all coming as a result of their lineout domination.

Newbold put the Hereford defence under a period constant pressure during a five-minute spell towards the end of the first period, but they changed ends with a lead of 15 points to nil. Early in the second half Hereford added another try following a catch and drive from the lineout.  For most of the second half defences were on top and the game ended at 22 points to nil.

A delighted Coach, Luke Fisher said,

“A good day for Hereford today, extending our winning streak at home. It was an outstanding performance from the pack.  We put a lot of pressure on the Newbold lineout and drove them round the park scoring four tries from driving lineouts. Defensively we were absolutely ruthless and they ran out of attacking options because our defence was spot on. Ewan Duncan brought control and tempo to our defence.  Lewis Jordan was a star man in the driving lineouts and his work-rate around the pitch. It was good to see the backs get involved and really attack the line today.  A great performance from Levi Hughes out wide.”

Hereford made a great start and within five minutes were on the scoreboard with a try. A catch and drive from a lineout saw Lewis Jordan touch down for the first of his hat trick of tries.  Jimmy Evans was unlucky to see his conversion attempt rebound from the upright. Half backs Jimmy Evans and Connor Sullivan were combining well and they sparked a number of spirited three-quarter movements.

Mid way through the half and from another attacking lineout, the Hereford pack drove to the Newbold line for Lewis Jordan to cross for his second try.  The conversion attempt was just wide. With five minutes to go to the interval Hereford added a third unconverted try.  Ewan Duncan broke from a maul following a lineout and fed prop Jamie Hodges, who raced over for the score. This seemed to spur Newbold who had their best spell of the game putting, the Hereford defence under extreme pressure during a five-minute period.

The Wyesiders held out to take a 15-point lead into the break.

Early in the second half, Hereford sealed their try bonus point with another signature try from an attacking lineout.  Lewis Jordan touched down for his hat trick after a catch and drive took play over the Newbold goal-line.  The extra points to extend the lead to 22 points were added by Connor Sullivan.

For the rest of the game defences were on top.

Hereford, now playing down the slope, kicked for territory, but were unable to take advantage of field position to add to their score. Newbold kept the ball in hand to press into the Hereford half.  The home defence was always in control and the game ended with the score remaining at 22 points to nil.  Herefords forwards with lineout specialists Callum Duncan, Richard Preece, Ollie Hutcheson and Josh Bell leading the way was the platform upon which the victory was based and our exceptional defence ensured it.

Next week we visit Kenilworth who are just one place above us in the league with a seven points advantage. Back in October we won our home game by 17 points to 10 but the return game will be a different matter and we can look forward to a tough contest.


Match repot by Robin Davies | Photos by Dave @ Wildcat Photography